Finanzamt Neubrandenburg (RiA)Central Tax Office for pensioners residing abroad


It is possible to get the tax office to assess the tax on your behalf, without you having to submit a tax return.

sepy - fotolia.com_98019345 © sepy -

In general, pension recipients who are resident abroad are obliged to submit a tax return in Germany. Usually, however, the Neubrandenburg Tax Office waives the obligation to submit a tax return for pension recipients who are resident abroad, If you choose this option, the tax office will assess how much tax you need to pay using information from your pension provider. This procedure is known as the Amtsveranlagungsverfahren (“tax office assessment procedure”) in German.

You can notify the Neubrandenburg Tax Office that you do not intend to submit a tax return using the following forms. You will then be sent a tax assessment notice (Steuerbescheid), which includes information about the amount of tax assessed and the payment deadline. If you want to be treated as a person subject to unlimited tax liability, you can use the response form to indicate this. Please also enclose either the form “EU/EEA Certificate” or “Non-EU/EEA Certificate”, as appropriate.

If you would like to submit a tax return:

PhotoSG - fotolia.com_28763950 © PhotoSG -

At the present time, the forms for the tax return are available only in the German language. EU/EEA Certificates and Non-EU/EEA Certificates which can be filled out electronically are only available in the federal revenue administration’s Form Management System (FMS): (These are not available in foreign languages, however.) The forms offered on our download page are only a supplement to those offered by the Federal Ministry of Finance. They can generally be printed, but they cannot be filled out electronically.